Auditions are in Late Spring of each year.
Due to Covid-19, the audition process this year will be entirely Online.
- Fill out the Audition Information Form.
- Send a video of yourself singing “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” a cappella (without piano accompaniment) to email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: FIRST AND LAST NAME – Zion Choir Audition. (Example: Debi Richards – Zion Choir Audition) The video does not have to be high quality. A phone should do the trick.
- Parents: Please fill out the Parental Consent Form. These will be collected on the first day of rehearsals.
We will plan to begin rehearsing on October 11, 2020 if circumstances and guidance permits. We will also NOT be collecting participation fees until we are certain we will have a performance season. Stay tuned!
Are you interested in auditioning for next year’s group? Read on to find out what Zion Choir asks of its members.
Basic requirements are for each auditionee to conduct their lives according to the standards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; if a member, to participate in seminary regularly; and to be High School Seniors, Juniors, or Sophomores, or of that age.
1. Participants will be required to rehearse and perform at times that may conflict with their regular ward and/or stake activities. Parental and ecclesiastical judgment should be used to ensure that this type of activity is appropriate for each participant and will not jeopardize his/her spiritual well-being.
2. If participants are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they must be active in attending their weekly meetings and other youth functions, as well as participate regularly in Seminary. If non-members, they are encouraged to participate in their own faith’s weekly worship services or invited to participate in those of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
3. Participants must be worthy to receive a partial-use Temple Recommend.
4. Participants must organize their schedules and plan their schoolwork so they can attend ALL rehearsals and performances on time prepared to fully participate.
5. An annual registration fee of $55 per participant will be collected at the beginning of each season. This money will be used to cover expenses for music, and equipment. Additional money will be needed for outfits and will be collected when the order is complete.
6. Modesty in dress will be expected at all rehearsals and performances. Missionary attire will be required at any performance where outfits are not appropriate. Hair should be clean and neat with no extreme styles or unnatural colors. Boys will be asked to be clean shaven and have conservative haircuts. See EFY standards here.
How should I prepare for my Zion Choir audition?
First, as mentioned above, one need not have any lengthy training or accomplishment as a singer. Prepare a song to the best of your ability, and have the confidence to sing it well in front of two or three of Zion’s directors.
When entering the audition room, give the directors both the completed Auditioner’s Information Form and Parental Consent Form. Then take your position near the piano. Introduce yourself, and state both your voice part and title of your song. After singing, be ready for a brief pitch-matching exercise. After that, auditioners will ask you any questions they have, and you’ll be able to ask any of your own as well.
Successful auditioners will also need to complete the Medical Information Liability Release and can bring it to the first rehearsal.